Author Topic: OTL amp or ....  (Read 1299 times)

tooppy

• View Profile
OTL amp or ....
« on: May 11, 2023, 03:30:32 PM »
Hi all,

This is a very long time I didn't peep around ! I am pleased to see that most names are still around.
I have a question for you all experts. What would you prefer as amp for a 92/97db 8ohm speakers, some single full range and some two ways , Transcendent OTL New mini beast or Decware SET UFO ?
In others words what are the advantages/disavantages of each ?

Michel

sonic

• View Profile
Re: OTL amp or ....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 05:12:13 PM »
Are you trying to diy it?  If so, look up Tubelab SSE or SE.  Cheaper, more output and better harmonic characteristic for single ended amp.  That Transcendent harmonics don't look good (not single ended like).  https://www.transcendentsound.com/mini-beast.html

tooppy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 08:44:20 PM »
Sonic, yes this Transcendent is SE, look above the picture.
I would love to know the feeling of Transcendent owners.

sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 09:46:20 PM »
I would love to know the feeling of Transcendent owners.
The feeling that SE amps give comes from even harmonic distortion which is typically described as "warm" sound.  If you look at the harmonic distortion measurement of Transcendent OTL New Mini, it has stronger odd harmonic distortion at 3K Hz as opposed to even harmonic at 2K Hz.  https://www.transcendentsound.com/images/mini-beast/mini%20beast%20half%20watt%20thd@2x.png  It may have lower distortion level but has the characteristics of push-pull amp.  If you want that "warm" sound, you want to look elsewhere.

sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 05:26:24 PM »
tooppy, if you are still in search of single ended triode sound, this is the harmonics signature to look for, note the dominant second (even) harmonic over third (odd) harmonic in FFT measurement.

henry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 04:59:41 PM »
Elekits are pretty nice.  Not too hard to build and well made.  Tube Depot carries them in the US and Hifi Collective has them in Europe, Australia.  Not cheap, but good.