Author Topic: Christmas......  (Read 850 times)

thehornshoppe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Christmas......
« on: December 26, 2022, 03:00:49 AM »
Hi all, Helen and I hope you all had a great Christmas. I meant to post days ago but it has been stupid here. First, we are not complaining at all. We had made lots of preparations for stuff like this. It's actually kind of satisfying to know everything went "according to plan". Trust me there are people all around us that are in Hell. Even though everyone was warned about the temps. there was little to be done if your pipes, well and tank were not seriously weather proofed. We saw 10 degrees. The water tower in Lexington sprang a leak! I wrote the note below to send to a friend but don't feel like typing the story again so I will copy and paste. We missed Christmas but all in all we are good. I have been wanting to replace that bladder tank for a long time.

For us the week was "interesting" and still is not over. Here is the short version. Helen started feeling bad last Sun. night. By Mon. morning she was full blown sick, not a cold. Neck hurting her, head, throat, bad congestion, weak, no appetite....best guess was the flu, we doubt it was covid for the 3rd time, she felt worse last week than our second covid brush. She was just getting better Thurs. night.

Well, I started feeling bad Tues. and Wed. was really feeling bad. Thurs. I was in bad shape. We made preparations for the cold weather, storing water, making sure gas was filled, etc. It was miserable. Here is the best part....Thurs. night around 10pm right after I had taken a shower ( I had gotten a bad feeling about the temp.) the water froze and stopped. Well, it was 10 degrees when I looked about 7am. Fri. morning. Never got above 25 or so all day. Got down to 16 Sat. morning. Well, the "water" did not just freeze, ALL of it did. The bladder tank froze as well as all pipes. Nothing we did or could have done would have stopped it. We are trying to thaw the bladder tank but it is a 20 gallon block of ice. Tomorrow I am going to buy a bladder tank and replace it, it's 20 years old and time, along with all the exposed pipes. It will be days before they all thaw and they are easy to get to. With luck we will have water late tomorrow afternoon. Had my first bath since Thurs. night today at Dad's place. Yes, it was sad going there.

So, that was us. We sure hope your week was less eventful!
Ed

sonic

• View Profile
Re: Christmas......
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 05:22:01 AM »
Ouch!  Hope you are getting better. 

Merry Christmas.

henry

• View Profile
Re: Christmas......
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 05:50:41 PM »
Ed, I hope things are looking better now.  I had the same water issue, but it was confined to the upstairs bathroom.  The downstairs didn't freeze, so I had water.  Luckily, the pipes didn't burst.  That would have been bad. 

It got down to 8 degrees here.  My sister lives in the NC mountains and it got to well below 0.  The wind chill was -30, so she has little sympathy for me!  Somehow they are used to that extreme weather.

I made it to see my mom on Christmas and we are still having a good time.  I'm thankful for that.