Author Topic: Truth Preamp Balance Control - Unequal apparent loudness right vs left  (Read 328 times)

Cidermill1

• View Profile
Right off the bat, I wish to state that I do not now believe the apparent difference between the right channel only or left channel only setting of the balance control is an issue with the preamp. I suspect the bias setting of the amp has shifted.

Background.
Just had my old McIntosh MR67 Tuner tuned up.
Noticed that with the preamp balance control in the middle that the right channel was clearly dominant.
Suspected that something was awry with the tuner.
Flipped the inputs from the tuner. Same result.
Tried a different tuner, including flipping the inputs. Same result.
Also tried doing the same with the turntable and CD player inputs. Curious thing is that the imbalance did not seem to be as severe.
To the best of my understand these tests suggest the issue is with the amp, not the preamp or the other equipment.

So again my next step is to check the bias setting of my Amp Camp Camp Version 1.8

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions of other tests or things to check.
Thank you for your help with this matter.
Yours,
Michael

thehornshoppe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Truth Preamp Balance Control - Unequal apparent loudness right vs left
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 06:57:02 PM »
Michael, short answer, tired and resting. Covid and all.

Do check your bias but that will probably not be an issue. I'm pretty sure all is ok. The balance is usually never in the center. It is more of a calibration control than an actual balance. My guess is when adjusted the system sounds fine, if so, loosen the set screw and center the knob, for aesthetics. :)  Keep us posted.
Ed