Author Topic: DAYTON 230 SUBWOOFER AMP>  (Read 1472 times)

vrod

• View Profile
DAYTON 230 SUBWOOFER AMP>
« on: April 13, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
Thinking about getting this for my Cube. If I use the speaker outputs on my Spectral DMA50, could I use the interconnect and speaker cable from the AP150 to connect ?

henry

• View Profile
Re: DAYTON 230 SUBWOOFER AMP>
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 10:36:22 PM »
Hey vrod, The Dayton 230 looks to be a nice amp.  I'm confused as usual.  Why not just use the speaker level outputs from your main amp into the high level inputs on the 230?  You could simply cobble some speaker wires with two sets of wires; one for the speakers and one for the sub amp high level inputs.  Think of bi-wiring schemes.  I've used banana plugs and spades with five-way binding posts.  That makes it really easy to have two speaker outputs without the hassle of fabricating bi-wire cables.  That could be good for you if you are into pricey speaker cables and want to adapt your current cables to make this work without modifications.  BTW, I'd love to see and hear your spectral amp.  I bet it's nice.

If I recall, the APA 150 only accepted line level inputs, so Ed's magic cables were necessary to attenuate speaker level outputs as to not create disaster.

Of course, I may be completely misunderstanding your question.  :-[

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:56:57 PM by henry »

thehornshoppe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 11:12:02 AM »
Vrod, Henry is correct as usual. The 230 will accept speaker level direct. Just hook speaker wires to it from the Spectral. Don't use the loop through. Just parallel the speaker wires to it and the speakers.

I still like the Crown and would prefer it but it will require a "high level cable" to use the preferred connection, a speaker level connection. 

Either one should be better than the 150.
Ed

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 03:12:03 AM »
Henry and Ed, thanks. I may try that. By the way my " PREMIUM " speaker cables are 10 guage Extension chord that I used to use to power my camper at dog shows. I soldered the appropriate connections and I can't tell the difference from Vampire Wire Cables I had lying around the house. The " PREMIUM " Cables are 8 ft each.

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 03:30:05 AM »
Henry , the wires go from the Spectral's output to the Dayton high level in and cables go from the high level out from the Dayton to the CUBE?

henry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 04:41:08 AM »
Yep, that seems right to me.   8)

Regarding cables, I had to spend quite a bit for used cables to better the Woods extension cords.  And, the difference is subtle.  I blame the Horns for being so resolving.  DH Labs Q-10 is as far as I can look.  I can't afford to go further and really have been content with them.  A rare thing for me.

I'll admit being a wire fool...  ;)